Tuesday, December 6, 2016

December 6th



"Jesus read the scriptures and so can you"

As a Latter Day Saint I believe not only in the Bible, but also in the Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, the Pearl of Great Price, and continuing revelation.

The Bible is a record of God's dealings with His people in the Old World
The Book of Mormon is a record of God's dealings with His people in the New World
Doctrine and Covenants is a collection of modern revelations given to restore and organize Christ's church in this dispensation.
The Pearl of Great Price is a small collection of scriptural works both ancient and modern
And Latter Day Saints believe that their leaders, a prophet and twelve apostles, continue to speak the word and will of God today.

Like Sunday, today's service was directed more toward God and showing my dedication to Him.
I decided to read a chapter from every collection of scripture at my disposal and then to share my favorite scripture on Facebook with my friends.

The chapters I read:
Old Testament- Ecclesiastes 12
New Testament- John 9
Book of Mormon- Ether 11
Doctrine and Covenants- Section 76
Pearl of Great Price- Moses 2
Continuing Revelation- The Perfect Path to Happiness by Thomas S. Monson


I don't know why I chose the passages I did, and to be completely honest, not all of them enlightened me in great measure. But I felt like my growth wasn't so much from the words, but from the act itself of reading. I have finals coming up and I love Youtube and Netflix and Hulu, but today I was able to put God first. I was able to show that even if I wasn't on the edge of my seat with every word, I value the words of God.

I once heard the story of a rock climber. He was climbing with a friend on a very dangerous surface of the mountain. Their ropes were connected so that they could support one another in the climb. As this climber reached for the next hand hold his missed the mark and found himself falling. His partner dug his fingers into the cliff, causing his skin to tear and bleed profusely. He was able to hold on enough that the weight of his falling partner did not pull him off the cliff and they both survived and finished the climb. The first climber, the one who fell, questioned "What can I do to repay my friend? Would new climbing ropes be enough? No!" he exclaimed, "There is no way to repay him and he doesn't expect me to. The best thing I can do is to remember him."

So it is with our Father. We can serve him, but we can never repay Him. The greatest thing we can do is to remember Him and studying His word is a great way to do that.

That brings me to my favorite scripture:
Mark 10:26-27
26 And they were astonished out of measure, saying among themselves, Who then can be saved?
27 And Jesus looking upon them saith, With men it is impossible, but not with God: for with God all things are possible.

#LIGHTtheWORLD




No comments:

Post a Comment